Travelling is a word enriched with new experiences, adventures and excitement. However, one thing that always travels with us is the uncertainty. It means you never know when your flight will be cancelled, you will have to delay your trip, your trip will be cancelled and the worst is the rise of emergency medical situations.
Here, to save yourself financially, travel health insurance comes as a hero. However, it is necessary to compare travel insurance to find the best insurance that offers travel delay coverage, trip cancellation coverage and more.
Let’s discuss reasons for trip delays and cancellations and how travel insurance helps compensate for them.
What is a Trip Delay or Cancellation?
Trip delays or cancellations refer to delays in starting or cancelling your planned trips due to various unforeseen reasons, which can cause you financial loss in cases of non-refundable bookings of flights and accommodation.
Here are some reasons for trip delays and cancellations:
- Adverse weather conditions
- Technical problems or mechanical failures with vehicle
- Air traffic congestion
- Natural disasters
- Riots or strikes
- Unexpected medical emergencies
- Unavoidable family emergencies
- Some personal reasons
- Travel restrictions
- Terrorist incidents
- Supplier bankruptcy
- Civil or political disturbance
What is the Role of Travel Insurance in Trip Delay And Cancellation?
Travelling insurance plays a significant role in mitigating the financial risk of trip delays and cancellations in the following ways:
1. Trip Delay Coverage
Suppose you are all set to go on your dream vacation, but due to any issues, such as bad weather or technical issues, your flight has been delayed for 8 hours. This delayed flight can bother you and completely disturbs your planned itinerary. And there may be chances of not getting a refund for one day’s accommodation, which stresses you mentally and financially.
However, with trip delay insurance coverage, you can get the additional expenses due to the delayed departure on transportation, accommodation, meals, and more reimbursed. It will ensure that you don’t have to pay the extra money from your pocket for the rebookings; instead, you can enjoy your trip with the new schedule.
2. Trip Cancellation Coverage
The most beautiful and horrific thing about life is that it is uncertain. Anything can happen anytime and anywhere, so you may have to cancel your trip for any of the reasons mentioned above. Trip cancellation in itself is a significant financial loss.
However, with trip cancellation insurance coverage, you can reimburse the non-refundable expenses on flights, accommodation, and more, as mentioned in your policy. It is how travel insurance ensures that your hard-earned money will not go to waste in such a situation.
3. Assistance Services
Travel insurance protects you financially in case of trip delays or cancellations and provides you with assistance services. Moreover, companies like Tata AIG provide 24/7 customer service to ensure that their policyholder’s insurance coverage is unaffected by time zones. So, whether it is rebooking flights, finding lost baggage, etc., they will take care of it. It helps you enjoy your trip worry-free.
How to Claim Travel Insurance for Delay and Cancellation?
To claim travel insurance coverage against trip delays and cancellations, you have to follow a few simple steps mentioned below:
- Step 1: Read your policy thoroughly to understand inclusion, exclusions, terms, conditions, coverage limit, and any other specific requirements while claiming delay or cancellation.
- Step 2: Notify your insurance provider immediately as your trip is delayed or cancelled. Ask them about the next steps, procedures, and documents required for making a claim.
- Step 3: Gather the essential documents such as flight tickets, accommodation receipts, notification or confirmation from airlines, cruise lines, etc.
- Step 4: Fill out the claim form online or offline by providing all the necessary details accurately and completely. It includes:
- Policy Details
- Incident Details
- Personal Details
- Step 5: Attach or upload the supporting documents such as:
- Copies of tickets
- Any written confirmations from authorities or transportation providers
- Step 6: Submit the claim form and keep one copy with yourself. After that, periodically check the status of your claim online, or you can stay in touch with the insurer of your insurance company.
- Step 7: Once the claim is approved, carefully check the settlement the insurer offers to ensure that all eligible expenses are covered.
- Step 8: If you find that the claim is underpaid, contact your insurance provider and initiate the appeal by providing the necessary information and documents.
Travel insurance is a wise investment when it comes to mitigating the risks of trip delays, cancellations, and more. It not only provides financial protection but also assists you in dealing with the various unforeseen events calmly and effectively.
So, investing in the right travel insurance policy from a reputed insurance provider is recommended before embarking on your journey. It will help you safeguard your finances and ensure peace of mind from the day you book your trip.